1.CATS AND DOGS: rain heavily
–> It’s raining cats and dogs = It’s raining heavily
2. CHALK ANDCHEESE: very different from each other
–> I don’t have anything in common with my brother. We’re like chalk and cheese.
3. HERE AND THERE: everywhere
–> I have been looking here and there for thegift I bought for my girlfriend.
4. A HOT POTATO: something that is difficult ordangerous to deal with (vấn đề nan giải, nóng hổi)
–> The abortion issue is a political hot potatoin the US.
5. AT THE DROP OF THE HAT: immediately, instantly
–> If you need me, just call me. I can come atthe drop of a hat.
6.BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD: time to start from the beginning ; it is time toplan something over again (bắt đầu lại từ đầu)
–> My plans tocreate a tiny car made of glasses were unsuccessful, so I guess it is back tothe drawing board.
7. BEAT ABOUT THEBUSH: avoiding the main topic, not speaking directly about the issue. (nói vòngvo, không vô vấn đề chính)
–> Stop beatingabout the bush and answer myquestion.
8. BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD: a good inventionor innovation; a good idea or plan. (ý tưởng hay, tốt)
–> Portable phones are marketed as the bestthing since sliced bread; people think they are extremely good.
9. BURN THE MIDNIGHT OIL: to stay up working,especially studying late at night (thức khuya làm việc, học bài)
–> I will have a big exam tomorrow so I’ll beburning the midnight oil tonight.
10. CAUGHT BETWEEN TWO STOOLS: when someone findsit difficult to choose between two alternatives (lưỡng lự, không biết lựa chọncái nào, do dự)
–> I was caught between two stools when I hadto choose which shirt to hang out with my girlfriends.
Bạn đang đọc: Fall between two stools là gì
11. BREAK A LEG = good luck
12. HIT THE BOOKS =to study
13. LET THE CAT OUTOF THE BAG: to reveal a secret or a surprise by accident ( để lộ bí mật)
–> It’s asecret. Try not to let the cat out of the bag.
14. WHEN PIGS FLY =something will never happen (chuyện viễn vông, không tưởng)
15. SCRATCH SOMEONE’S BACK: helpsomeone out with the assumption that they will return the favor in the future(giúp ai với mong muốn sau này người ta sẽ giúp lại mình)
–> “You scratch my back and I will scratchyours,” the customer said when we talked about the new sales contact.
16.HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD: do or say something exactly right (đoán, nói trúngphóc)
–> Mike hit thenail on the head when he said most people can use a computer without knowinghow it works.
17. TAKESOMEONE/SOMETHING FOR GRANTED: coi nhẹ
–> One of theproblems with relationships is that after a while you begin to take each otherfor granted.
18. TAKE SOMETHINGINTO ACCOUNT/CONSIDERATION: toremember to consider something (tính đến cái gì)
–> We will take your long years of service intoaccount when we make our final decision.
19. KEEP AN EYE ON SB/STH: để ý, để tâm đến ai
–> Please keep an eye on my baby while I amout.
20. PUT SOMEONE/SOMETHING AT SOMEONE’S DISPOSAL: tomake someone or something available to someone (có sẵn cho ai sử dụng theo ýmuốn)
–> I’d be glad to help you if you need me. Iput myself at your disposal.
21.SPLITTING HEADACHE (N): a severe headache (đau đầu như búa bổ)
–> I’ve got asplitting headache. I’m going upstairs for a nap.
22. OFF THE PEG:may sẵn (quần áo)
–> If I buytrousers off the peg, they’re always too short.
23. ON THE HOUSE:không phải trả tiền
–> I went to arestaurant last night. I was the ten thousandth customer, so my dinner was onthe house.
24. HIT THE ROOF = GO THROUGH THE ROOF = HIT THECEILING: to suddenly become angry (giận dữ)
–> I’m afraid he will hit the roof when hefinds out our vacation is cancelled.
25. BRING DOWN THE HOUSE: làm cho cả khán phòng vỗtay nhiệt liệt
–> Bin’s voice brought the house down. Hereally brought down the house with his fantastic song.
26.PAY THROUGH THE NOSE: to pay too much for something (trả giá đắt)
–> If you wantdecent wine in a restaurant, you will have to pay through the nose for it.
27. BY THE SKIN OFONE’S TEETH: sát sao
–> I gotthrough calculus class by the skin of my teeth.
–> I got to theairport a few minutes late and missed the plan by the skin of my teeth.
28. PULL SOMEONE’SLEG: chọc ai
–> You don’t mean that.You’re just pulling my leg.
29. IT STRIKE SB AS/THAT A STRANGE: lấy làm lạ
–> I stroke me as a strange when he came toclass early this morning.
30. HIGH AND LOW = HERE AND THERE: everywhere
–> I have been searching high and low for thegift I bought for Hà An for a whole day.
31.THE MORE, THE MERRIER: càng đông, càng vui
–> Of courseyou can have a ride with us! The more, the merrier.
32. SPICK AND SPAN:ngăn nắp, gọn gàng
–> The kitchenwas spick and span as ever, every surface wiped down and everything in itsplace.
33. EVERY NOW ANDTHEN = sometimes
–> Every nowand then, I want to be alone.
34. PART AND PARCEL: integral, crucial (quan trọng,thiết yếu)
–> Being recognised in the street is all partand parcel of being famous.
35. GO TO ONE’S HEAD: khiến ai kiêu ngạo
–> Don’t let all this praises go to your head.
–> Too much success will go to her head.
36.BE ON THE WAGON: kiêng rượu
–> Bob’s olddrinking buddies complained that he was no fun when he went on the wagon.
37. ONCE IN A BLUEMOON: rất hiếm
–> Once in ablue moon, I stop thinking about her. If only she knew how much I love her.
38. ON THE SPOT:immediately (ngay lập tức)
–> I will bethere on the spot.
39. FEW AND FAR BETWEEN: hiếm gặp
–> Go and tell her that you love her! That kindof girl is really few and far between.
40. ON THE VERGE OF = ON THE BRINK OF = IN THE EDGE: bên bờ vực (cẩn thận với giới từ “on” và “in” nhé!)
–> We have to protect elephants. They are onthe verge of extinction.
41.LEAD SOMEBODY BY THE NOSE: to control someone and make them do exactly what youwant them to do (nắm đầu, dắt mũi ai)
–> They simplydidn’t know what they were doing and they were led by the nose by amanipulative government
42. AT THE ELEVENTHHOUR: vào phút chót
–> She alwaysturned her term paper in at the eleventh hour.
43. FIND FAULTWITH: chỉ trích, kiếm chuyện,bắt lỗi
–> It is very easy to find fault with the workothers.
44. OFF AND ON/ ON AND OFF: không đều đặn, thỉnhthoảng
–> We don’t often go there- just off and on.
45. MAKE BELIEVE: giả bộ, giả vờ
–> I tried to make believe she was happy, butknew deep down it was not true.
46. MAKE GOOD TIME: di chuyển nhanh, đi nhanh.
–> We made good time and were at the hotel bylunch time.
47. LOOK DAGGERS AT SOMEONE: giận giữ nhìn ai đó
–> Their relationship is not free and easy butat least he is no longer looking daggers at her.
48. BE OUT OF THE QUESTION: không thể được
–> You cannot get married until you are 18,it’s out of the question.
49. ALL AT ONCE = suddenly: bất thình lình
–> All at once, there was a loud banging on thedoor.
50. BLOW ONE’S TRUMPET: bốc phét, khoác lác
–> Anyone will tell you she’s one of the bestjournalist we’ve got, although she’d never blow her trumpet.
51. SLEEP ON IT : tâm lý thêm về điều gì đó .
Xem thêm: Các loại gia vị ở Nhật
(Mod Tiếng Anh sưu tầm)